Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The 20MR Episode 38: Marathon update in the dark no less, longest run ever

The picture above from a past trip to the NC mountains goes will with the feel of this episode: we leave in the darkness with only the moon to guide our way. Of course, after 19 miles, the moon is eventually replaced by the sun. We are celebrating the longest run I have every completed. Whoopee!! But during the way, we discuss a few issues in Episode 38. Thanks for stopping by.

Each longer run is a smaller staging area for what I need to do on marathon day. This run is no exception. Listen in as I talk about the pre-run preparations, including what I am trying to eat before, during, and after each long run. It includes peanut butter, bananas, oatmeal, gels, jelly beans and the like. Practicing what I need to do on race day is proving enlightening and beneficial. I have come too far to get that part of my preparations wrong.

I give you an update on the Body Glide and we also talk about technology problems. By the way, are we too dependent on technology? After you hear about my techno faux pas, email me with your thoughts. In a world of GPS devices, Garmins, cell phones and other gadgets, when is enough enough? Let me know your thoughts on the topic.

During the second half of the run, I wanted to develop a nasty sidestitch: something I rarely have to deal with. But, we mustered through it and actually finished strongly. I may be examining my pre-run meal more closely. Also, I will be eating earlier on race morning, so the sidestitch issue should not be a problem. But, we will continue to tweak it on the long runs and let you know how it goes. And also what I ultimately decide upon. Feeling bloated and dealing with the stitch is not fun.

That about covers this episode. I am glad to have you along for the run. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 38 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Standing by the River," by Gary Hunter. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The background music at the beginning of this episode is entitled "The Dark Symphony" and is the title cut of the album by Roger Subirana. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The background music near the end of this episode is “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger