Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The 20MR Episode 41: The walking wounded...



The walking wounded: a phrase I dread using, especially when it seems to apply to me. Welcome to Episode 41. I now have Runner's Knee. The pain and descriptions of it are unmistakable: pain around the knee cap, difficulty walking down stairs or even mild downhill terrain and the inability to even walk without pain. In this episode, you go along with me for a four mile run after a full week of no structured exercise. It's not pretty, but we discuss the following:
  • What caused the knee problem (my observations)
1) Running on uneven terrain, especially the shoulder of the road.
2) Wearing old shoes for 2 runs leading up to the first of two flair-ups.
3) Running longer/harder efforts too closely together in the shoes in question.
4) A tempo run, followed by the 20.2 miler, with only an active rest day between (biking) resulted in the second flair-up: 28.6 miles in three days, with a 45 minute bike ride between. Too much time exercising without adequate rest.

  • What caused the knee problem (clinical observations)
1) Biomechanical considerations are discussed.
2) Muscular causes are discussed.
  • My treatment plan
1) No running until the pain disappears (7 full days after the second flair-up).
2) Ice for a few days after the pain begins.
3) Anti-inflamitories, especially ibuprofen.
4) Avoiding stairs and downsloping roadways, etc.
5) Riding the bike, if the pain is not present, after the pain disappears (see # 1).
  • My plans to prevent a recurrence
1) Wear newer, stability shoes, not cushioned trainers.
2) Ice bath after my next long run.
3) Have at least two days of complete rest before the long run--not active rest.
4) Do two different exercises to strengthen my quads, and also stretching the calf and hamstrings diligently, including: foot turns and straight leg lifts.
5) Pray!
*6) Something not included in our discussion, but that I am attempting since the recorded run, which seems to offer promise in relief and stabilization of the knee: using a knee strap. I will let you know if this helps or not.

Will this work? I don't know, but finishing the marathon depends upon diligence and smart training and adequate rest. I may forgo the intervals and opt for tempo runs--if I can tolerate it. If I can't, then the marathon is really in question. I cannot go through another lay-off at this point and expect to run a relatively comfortable and safe race.

Stay tuned for episode 42 for an update on how all of this is working out. I think the news will be positive. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 41 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
_________________________

Here is the link to the article I referenced from Runner's World: Runner's World article.

The music heard in the body of the podcast i
s entitled “The Tale of Room 620," by Ehren Starks. Check it out at Magnatune.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com
.

The transitional piece heard in the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger