Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The 20MR Episode 39: Slushfest, revisiting the caffeine controversy






We begin Episode 39 by running through knee-high snow drifts on the side of the road. Although the run was a bit shorter than normal, the workout was just as hard--maybe harder. We then move to a 12-miler later in the week. While it went well, I am actually experiencing knee and hamstring pain in my right leg. The pain is something I have never had before and I think it is telling my body to SLOW DOWN! If I can get back on the roads, I will purposefully go slower, except for the speedwork. I also really need to get in the last 2 long runs, 20 and 22 miles respectively before we hit the taper, something to which I am honestly looking forward to--the taper, I mean. Training for a marathon is very difficult and challenging, as you know. I simply need to run at a slower pace--unless the run calls for it or I am very comfortable to do so. Stay tuned...

After a visit to Big Ed's Chicken Pit in High Point, Cindy and I went bowling (could that be the source of my problem as well)? Not sure, but bowling is out until after the marathon. The episode concludes with the long run and discussion about a recent article I received in my In box. I would like to know your thoughts about what we discuss and your personal experience with caffeine.

Sprinkled in the middle of this episode are discussions on recent survey results (take the new survey at the blog if you have not done so already), how to order all of the music I use in the podcast, information on the Buckeye link to the left (of the blogspot page), and how to connect with me on Twitter, handle, "20minuterunner."

Also, we finally say goodbye to my Loco Perfecto Blues (seen above after their final, wet, run). They are now officially out to pasture...I'll miss them. But...life goes on. Now, to the new Saucony Glide 2s. Could the fact that the last two runs were in shoes with over 400 miles on them be the culprit to my injury woes? I'm not sure, but we can fix that with the Perfectos retirement.

Listen to how the article I referenced above has impacted my plans for caffeine use during the next two long runs and the marathon. I think I finally have settled on what I will do during those runs--and the marathon--relative to caffeine, electrolyte supplementation and the like.

Be sure to follow the links in this blog post to learn more about all of the things discussed. Hope your running is injury free and going well. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 39 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
__________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Alpaca Cheese," by Derek K. Miller. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The transitional piece heard in the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.

The background music near the end of this episode is “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger