Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The 20MR Episode 37: Marathon training update, safely running in the dark

Thanks for tagging along for Episode 37. If you are new to the podcast: Welcome! If you enjoy the show, please share the information with other running buddies. I am excited that many are becoming "groupies" of The 20MR podcast; I am also humbled.

In this episode, after giving an update on the week's training, we talk a bit about the importance of eating properly before a long run or speed session. I have experienced some problems lately that may be related to my lack of nutrition before I head out the door for those sessions. If you have had a similar experience, let me know what works for you. Email me with any suggestions or comments. Send me a wav or mp3; I will share it with our listeners. I am convinced that I need to begin practicing the habit of eating properly before a stressful workout. We shall see how it turns out. I will keep you informed.

The second half of this episode is spent discussing issues relative to running safely in the dark. During this time of year, that can be an issue whether you run in the early morning or the evening. I offer some suggestions and insights. For reference, see the article in the January issue of Runner's World entitled Collision Course. Here are some of the issues we cover:
  1. Run against traffic if at all possible, even though running on the same side of the road can cause problems with running mechanics. If you have to choose between safety from cars or concerns about the running mechanics, err on the side of safety and give drivers their space.
  2. If you run late night, drivers may be tired or possibly drinking. Be extra cautious!
  3. If you are an early morning running, you may be dealing with folks just returning from working third shift and suffering from fatigue and inattentiveness. Again, give drivers their space. It could save your life.
  4. Distracted drivers are also a problem. Texting, talking on the phone--you name it--may be diverting that driver's attention. Be alert and be safe.
  5. If you have concerns, always get off of the road. Give them THREE FEET, at least. Again, the hassle of running through high grass is preferable to getting hit be an oncoming vehicle. Err on the side of caution.
  6. ASSUME THAT DRIVERS DO NOT SEE YOU. Never take it for granted that you are visible, and again, act accordingly.
  7. Don't try new routes in the dark. Make sure that you have run the route in the daylight and are fully familiar with the terrain and surroundings, such as dogs, potholes, and the like.
We also talk about things that we need to know in regard to when an oncoming car may see you. While I won't go over the list here, listen to the episode for those details and check out the article I referenced above.

Don't forget I'm on Twitter. My handle is 20minuterunner. I would love to have you as a follower. Send me a tweet.

Next week, Lord willing, I will tie my record for the longest run I've ever taken: 18 miles. Not sure how that will work out with winter weather in the forecast, but you don't want to miss it.

Again, I appreciate you listening more than I can adequately say. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 37 (click the player below)


_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “The Tables Have Turned," by Andrea Harper. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The transitional piece heard in the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.

The background music “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger