Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The 20MR Episode 40: First 20-miler, shoes 101



This show, Episode 40, covers a topic that I hoped to never have to address, especially 5 weeks before the marathon: injury, or more specifically, "Runner's Knee." Yes, I am now a sufferer, but feel confident that I know what caused it...and how to deal with it in the critical final weeks leading up to the March 20th event. During the last long run--my longest ever (20.2 miles), I experienced a real problem with my right knee after the 19-mile mark, much like the problem I experienced on the 12-mile run last week, which required 4 days of no running. I did go 8 miles with a tempo run on day 5 with no ill effects--and no pain. Every run is so critical at this point in the marathon training. But remaining injury free is the first priority. I hope to address in the next blog on what I perceive as the cause--and the way to treat it. Stay tuned.

I took R-2 for the first time after the long run and I think I will be buying a couple of packs to use for the last long run in 2 weeks and after the marathon. You will get an update on how that works. For this effort, I think it really helped to offset the fatigue.

The Buckeye update now has information on my last workout, be it a stationary bike ride or a run. Check it out at the left (of the blogspot page) to get an instant view of the details of my last effort. It will change each time I post a new workout.

We spend a few minutes discussing shoes and what is the difference in motion control, stability and cushioned trainers. Depending on your foot type, you probably require a specific type of shoe. If you are new to the podcast--and running especially--I think the comments will prove helpful to you. Email with any questions you have about the topic. I will do my best to give you the best advice I can.

At 19.5, miles, I once again had the right knee to flair up, after running that far with no pain at all. It may require another few days off. I will update you on that in episode 41 next time. I am really having to try to balance injury prevention/treatment with getting in the last critical runs the next two weeks. Bring on the taper!

I appreciate your support. Our listenership continues to grow. I am humbled...and thankful for you listening to the podcast. Please share it with your running friends and drop me a line at the "Email Me" button on the blogspot page. YOU are why I do this and I enjoy your camaraderie more than I can really express.

I hope your training is going well. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 40 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Wreck of the Zephyr," by Drop Trio. Check it out at Magnatune Music.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The background music near the end of this episode is “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.

The photos above are of Cindy and I, and Cindy and Odie in the recent light snow we had--the last of 3 snows on successive Fridays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger