Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The 20MR Episode 74: Reasons Why We Run #6 - Health Consciousness





Happy Thanksgiving as we share in Episode 74 of the podcast. Listen as we complete our longest run before the half marathon--with 3 sets of hills at the end--of 17.1 miles. I know it sounds crazy, but we want to make sure that we are ready to go for the half, which is now less than 3 weeks away. I really am looking forward to it. While I didn't see any turkeys during the run (which we do have in our area), I did see some chickens in my neighbor's yard...weird. Anyway, after the training update, the wonderful invention of compression socks and yet again, GU vs. Stingers, we get into the meat of the discussion.

One of the reasons I run has to do with the consciousness that we gain as we run. It manifests itself in several ways:

  • I have become more sensitive as to what I put into my body
  • I have become more sensitive as to what I do not put into my body
  • I have become more sensitive relative to the environment.
While I do not buy the global warming argument, I do believe in conserving and reusing, as we discuss in this show. Running simply makes us more aware of health in general, whether it be our personal health or the health of our planet. It just happens and I think it's great.

I also have discovered that to increase foot turnover, increase the rate of the arm swing. Sounds strange, but it really works.

We wind things up by sharing the plans for the running as we near the half. The taper has now begun, sort of. While the mileage will begin winding down, I do plan at least one more week of tempo and more hill repeats to keep our edge.

While we wind up this one in the moonlight, I am reminded of yet another reason I run: experiencing the sheer beauty of nature, even in town.

I hope your Thanksgiving was great. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute (chi) Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The opening music is entitled "Point of No Return" and is from the album by the same name by Roger Subirana Mata. Check it out at Jamendo.

The song heard in the body of the podcast and at the very end is from the album "Our Moon" and is from the album by the same name by Roger Subirana Mata. Check it out at Jamendo.

The background music is entitled "Second Half" by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger