Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Episode 35: Marathon basics, breakthrough training

Things have been quite cold lately--at least for central North Carolina. This run reiterates that fact: around freezing and quite breezy.

However, the training and planning for the marathon continue, whatever the weather may hold. On marathon day, missed runs and workouts will become clearly evident. In order for that to not happen, it is necessary to do the hard work in all types of weather and settings. Thanks for tagging along on this run in Episode 35.

We discuss training updates and talk about the basics of marathon training. While I have never run a marathon--this being my first--I hope you can benefit from my experience as we literally learn together. We cover a few issues in this episode, among them:

  • How to meet the electrolyte and nutritional needs that arise during long runs. I share with you what I am trying. Gels, almonds, raisins and Xtreme Beans are all a part of the discussion. I want to know what has worked for you on the long runs. Send me an email.
  • I also talk about the basics of any marathon training. While these things are not exhaustive, they must be an important part of training for 26.2 miles. Among them:
  1. The long run
  2. Speed work
  3. Cross-training
  4. Strengthening the core
  5. Rest (may be one of the most important aspects of long distance training)
  • I close by briefly sharing my observations on my training. After 17 months on the road, I seem to have clearly had a breakthrough (for me) relative to speed and strength. While the effort feels the same, the results are faster and stronger. If you have ever experienced this, I would like to hear about your experience. Our bodies truly are amazing creations.
As always, it's good to have you along with me. You can also follow my training on Twitter. My handle is "20minuterunner." Drop me a tweet and let me know you're listening. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 35 (click the player below)



_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Sleepaway," by Rob Costlow. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger