Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The 20MR Episode 34: Why I'm running the marathon, a memorial to my father

Welcome to Episode 34, a very special program that I have looked forward to for quite some time. In this episode, you tag along with me on a 14.2 mile run. While we explore new running territory, we also go down the halls of time...5 years to be exact. My father passed away from lung cancer on January 3rd, 2005. I still miss him.

As he was on his deathbed, I began keeping a log of each day's events and my perceptions of those events. He used to tease me about "that book you're writing." I denied it, but later decided that my struggles with him through the dying process might assist others going through a similar situation. I did go on to write that book and self-published it about 1 year after his death. The response was overwhelming--and encouraging. It still is.

I share some excerpts from that journal that became a book during this run. I also include a few very short clips of my father himself that I was able to pull from some old videos that I have and cherish.

While I am running the marathon for myself and to raise money for the American Lung Association, I am also running it (and running in general for that matter) to escape the demons that still show up occasionally, reminding me of the shortcomings of my father and the holes in our relationship. While my father prepared us--and himself--for his death, I still feel a needless sense of loss about it all. Alcoholism robbed so much from him, our family, and me.

Running the marathon is about exercising those demons, yet pleasing my father still. For I know that he would ultimately be pleased with the way I am dealing with the shortcomings and missing parts in our relationship.

The marathon will be a cleansing and healing process for me. The healing has already begun with the training...and this episode. I trust your running helps you to escape whatever "demons" are at your heels as well. Can I outrun them? I don't know; but I'm trying. It's good to be able to honestly share my heart with you in this episode. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 34 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com



_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Goodbye," by Aaron. Check it out at Music Alley.

The background music at the end of the podcast is entitled "El guardia dels somnis" by Roger Subirana from the album "Lost Words." Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The opening music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

To order a copy of "For As Long As I Can, A Son's Memoir of His Father's Dying Request," ask for it by name (or my name) at any bookseller, go to the link at the left, or order from Amazon. A portion of each book's sale will be donated to Hospice. I truly do appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger