Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The 20MR Episode 30: Remembering who I'm thankful for...


(Pictured above are me, my mother, my brother Delwood, and his father/my stepfather, "Hoover"- taken about 1978 or 79)

We went back home to the place of my youth for Episode 30, a special Thanksgiving episode. Rather than going on a long run with you, this week was a bit shorter: eight miles through Wallace. Go with me as I briefly describe the landmarks that were a part of my life growing up, from "Santa's (little) house" on Main St. to the funeral home that handled my late step-father's arrangements 27 years ago.

Going home always brings out the reminiscent spirit in me; it probably does for you also. And during the holidays, those memories are even stronger in my mind. My step-father raised me from the age of about 9 until his death when I was 19. He was 50.

Hoover was the epitome of what a "father" should be. Though he was by no means perfect (are any of us?), he did those things that a good father should do: he taught me how to fish, how to raise livestock and even how to make fresh sausage and "souse meat." And yes, I do briefly describe all of those experiences and more. A Korean veteran, he was all about hard work and taking care of family. Traits that are often missing in our present world...

Part of home includes fire ants. If you are not aware of these little wonders, get ready to be educated. You are probably just as well to not know about them, but they are a part of life in our area of the world.

We close with a short tempo session and a good sprint to the stop sign. Can you make it? Listen in as I give advice to my nephew Jason about his first 5K. Consistency and determination are vital to racing success. I know you already realize that.

Finally, I want to challenge you to thank that person (or persons)--living or dead--who have made an impact on your life. We never know when the chance is over. This session is about saying goodbye yet again, after almost three decades.

So, I hope your turkey and pie are behind you as you lace up your shoes and run with me once again. I am so glad to have you along. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)


Listen to Episode 30 (click the player below)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger