Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

T20MR Episode 26: Thanks and "Dog Protection Tactics 101"



Welcome to Episode 26. As we make our way through 25 more episodes--hopefully--I thank you for sharing the journey with me. I open this show by sharing my thoughts about things up to this point and what my plans are for the future of the podcast. It is also my privilege to say "Thank you" for your support during the last several months. Whether you are a new listener, or have run through every episode, without you listening, this endeavor would truly be pointless and not work. So, after a few minutes of contemplation...we run.

After a close encounter with a dog--well, sort of close--our thoughts turn to ways to protect ourselves from our canine "friends." Now I am a dog lover (and animal lover in general). But sometimes we have to really be on our guard to protect ourselves if such an occasion arises. I offer a few suggestions during the running portion of this episode and also share a funny story when I had the "4 second burst of superhuman energy" that we discussed last week. If you are concerned about a close encounter of the canine kind, consider the following:


  1. Don't run an unfamiliar route at night (make sure to try out a new route in the daytime first).

  2. Take some protective precautions: carry a weak bleach solution, or even a stick. We discuss how to use it in the podcast.

  3. If that doesn't work, stand your ground and act crazy!

  4. Last resort: Run. Unless you know you can outrun the dog, then that is crazy!

  5. If attacked, protect your neck and head.

  6. Carry your phone with you. Even if you are attacked, you should be able to hit speed dial if necessary. Hopefully the owner, or at least someone else, will be near to offer assistance.

  7. Finally, run relaxed. A dog can sense when he has the "upper hand." If you express confidence, the dog can also sense that.

  8. (One more suggestion that I failed to discuss: act like you are picking up something to throw. Believe it or not, it really works. Ironically, I just had to use that tactic this morning (along with number 3). Thankfully, I am just fine. )

Let me hear your canine encounter story. Email it or send me an mp3 or wav file. I will include it in the show. Hope your training is going well and the dogs are behaving. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,

The 20 Minute Runner


Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.

The first piece heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Sleepaway," by Rob Costlow. Check it out at Music Alley.

The last piece heard in the body of the podcast is entitled "My Dog's Still Walkin," by Smokin Joe Kubek and Bnois King. Check it out at Music Alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger