Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

T20MR Episode 27: Life's a beach/all things nautical


































Although I am now back in the office, we recorded this, Episode 27, while on vacation at Holden Beach, NC. And while we run in most of the episode, we also talk about a variety of topics that happen to come up, including--but not limited to:
  • Hurricanes and their impact on my life and my family through the years
  • Gill net fishing: How to do it and what it actually is
  • The importance my late step-dad played in my life during my teen years, including teaching me how to fish for such great fare as spots, croakers, and the occasional mullet, oh my!
  • We go to The Seafood Hut at Calabash, "The Seafood Capital of the World." They have, beyond question, the best fried seafood on the East Coast (I know, fried foods are bad, but it is the only way to eat a shrimp--at least a few times a year). The place where you can't get anything broiled, and baked potatoes are a "no-no"
  • Sammy is recovering from surgery; I share an update
  • Our discussion goes to the bigger, philosophical reasons for running. The main idea: Running may not add years to your life, but it certainly will add life to your years.
We close by talking about the need to sloooow down... Do you feel the need to do so? Getting in a few days several times a year at the beach--or your favorite "quiet" place--is so critically important for our physical and emotional health. If you are a type A or a workaholic, I invite you to stop and listen to the ocean with me in this episode (Yes, we literally stop and listen to the ocean).

All in all, I hope you find your running, and this episode, relaxing. If you can't get away for time at the beach, lace up your shoes and run with me along the shore. But be sure and watch out for the sand spurs. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.

The piece heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Beach Drive." by Chris Godber. Check it out at Music Alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger