Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Episode 10-Having the Heart of a Champion






Episode 10 is about the realization that you are a champion, regardless of whether you achieve what someone else may define as success or not. While you may not have the fastest time in a 5K or have completed a marathon, the fact that you are racing--or simply running at all--defines you as a champion.

We also discuss three areas of benefit the running life produces:
  • Mental aspects
  • Physical aspects
  • Weight loss and management
I also share some recent emails, including one from David in the UK who is attempting a PR in the half-marathon this fall. I offer some insights to prevent injury and make sure that he is ready on race day. The link below (as promised) is the program I will be following--with some minor modification--as I prepare to run my first half this fall.

While those around you may have definitions for success, this episode is about defining our own success. You alone know what that is for you. It may be running a set number of miles per week, running a certain time for a race, or just getting out 3 days a week and running. My definition is the last one. And those 3 days a week, as well as a race now and then, are big successes for me, regardless of the time.

I have included the photos in this post to illustrate one of my personal successes: weight loss and management. David can identify, as you will hear. You can probably tell which picture is the "before" and which are the "after." While I will not print it here, I do share my numbers in this episode. If this issue is one you struggle with, I trust this episode of T20MR will encourage you to achieve your weight loss--and maintenance--goals.

Define your success and then work to achieve it! That is what makes a champion.

This is a full episode. Thanks for listening. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________


The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Heart of a Champion," by Bob Pressner. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The background music is entitled “Afternoon in the Sun.” It is by John Williams, from his album “Long Road Home.” Check it out at Magnatune.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com

The half-marathon training program referenced in this episode can be found here.

Check out Matt's podcast at Run Digger Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger