Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The 20MR Episode 60: Chi Basics #1, "How to avoid heel strike"



We begin our in-depth look at the basics of Chi Running in this, Episode 60. I plan to look at one element per episode over the next several weeks, culminating in a summary episode on the basics of Chi Running. Please check out more information on the topic at Danny Dreyer's website, ChiRunning.

We will be starting some short tempo running later this week, as the fall race season heats up. I may do 2 5Ks and hope to the Cannonball Half again in October. But in the meantime, I continue to learn about--and practice--Chi running. While I am no expert, I do believe in its benefits and look forward to sharing even more with you as the upcoming episodes unfold. For this one, however, we discuss the information shared in the video above by Danny Dreyer on how to avoid heel strike, one of the most basic elements of the Chi running form. We talk about:

  • The causes of heel strike
  • How to fix the problem
  • Why this matters
We close the episode with a couple of recent incidents that have happened at our house. All I will say here is that they involve Tigger (yet again), a cardinal and a raccoon. Listen to the entire episode to learn more. I think you will enjoy it.

Also, why not send me a photo and a race report? I also would like to hear via email any questions or comments you have about the show--or me. Audio files are welcome as well. I always enjoy hearing from you, the listener. Finally, hop on over to iTunes and give The 20 Minute Runner podcast a review; I'd appreciate it. And tell all of your friends about this, and the next, episodes. If you are new to Chi Running, I think they will be helpful.

David, of the EnerChi Fitness website also shares some comments in this show. Check out David's website and the video link below (video by David) to learn more. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,

The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

Links for this show

EnerChi Fitness website

Efficient and Injury F--r--e--e Natural Running Technique video

Smoking Days Music

The opening and closing music is entitled "Point of No Return" and is from the album by the same name by Roger Subirana. Check it out at Jamendo.

The song heard in the body of the podcast is entitled "Angels of Hope" by Roger Subirana Mata. Check it out at Jamendo.

The background music is entitled "Second Half" by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune.

The transitional piece is entitled "The Long Goodbye" by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is a great video. I have read Chi Running, taken a workshop, and try to be mindful of the technique. Unfortunately, I think my form breaks down with fatigue. And, I'm paying the price for it. I really like the image of the foot not moving past the hip.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger