Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The 20MR Episode 57: Chi Running


I hope you enjoy the picture above. It is the sunflower by my mailbox and has over 20 flowers on it. My neighbor said she has never seen anything like it; I think you'll agree. Welcome to the hot summer of 2010 and Episode 57. It's good to have you along for this run as we travel to our old root, Wallace yet again...

We begin by updating you on my father-in-laws battle with leukemia. He is not doing that well...

NEW to the show? THANKS FOR GETTING ON BOARD! I love getting new listeners and would ask that you share the program with other runners you know! Thanks for downloading and listening. Let me hear from you…


Back home in Tville, we have toms, peppers (pick when I get home),apples (pic at blog last post) and wild blackberries on my cereal for several days. We also have a race report from Jeff. Way to go Jeff!

The bulk of the program is spent talking about the elements of Chi Running, or running from the center (your core). It seems to be working for my sore hips and I recommend it to you. See the links below for even more information. Some of the basic elements:
  • Run tall
  • Lean forward
  • Land on the mid-foot
  • Run from your core
  • Relax, relax relax!

How hard is it to change your running technique?
Some coaches say you can't change your running form, but I don't believe that for a second. But it does take time to break inefficient habits. So, you'll need to slow down your pace at first to focus on the basics. Practice makes perfect. The more you practice, the quicker you'll learn it. For the average person, it takes one to three months for his or her muscles to learn something new.

Devote at least one run a week to technique. Don't listen to music or talk to a friend; instead, think about your body position and alignment and make adjustments throughout your run to stay relaxed and move efficiently.


Learning ChiRunning is like learning to ride a bike--once you get it, your muscles remember the movement, and it becomes intuitive. You'll feel a difference in your body once you get it. Many women have told me they suffer less hip, back and knee pain once they switch to this technique, in addition to increasing their endurance and speed. Hopefully, you'll be able to run for years to come.


I love getting reports from you, including pictures, race updates and anything else. Email me at the button to the left and send me anything of interest. I will plan to include it on an upcoming episode of the show. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,

The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)


________________________


Links for this show

Active.com article on Chi running

Youtube video on Chi running basics


The opening and closing music is entitled "Point of No Return" and is from the album by the same name by Roger Subirana. Check it out at Jamendo.

The background music is entitled "Second Half" by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune.

The song heard in the body of the podcast is entitled "Gone Train Blues" by Freeky Cleen. Check it out at Music Alley.






1 comment:

  1. Roland,
    Nice audio blog.
    The author of ChiRunning is Danny Dreyer.

    Here is a ChiRunning Intro Video I thought you might like; highlights the key principles and provides an analogy:
    - ChiRunning Simplified!, Efficient and Injury F--r--e--e Natural Running Technique:
    - http://www.echifitness.com/chirunningsimplified.html

    Author resources:
    - http://bit.ly/2O9d1j

    My running website/blog:
    - http://www.eChiFitness.com

    Happy running,
    David.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger