Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Monday, October 19, 2009

T20MR Episode 24: My First Half Marathon, The Cannonball Run race coverage
























It's hard to believe, but the training for the 1/2 is over and we tackle The Cannonball Half Marathon in Episode 24. It's time to see if the hard work and weeks of preparation paid off.

We begin by running the final tempo run together as I assess how I am feeling a few days before the race. Running updates are also included in the discussion leading up to the half.

From the tempo run, we get the car packed as I share some last-minute thoughts about the training, the rest (or lack thereof) and my expectations for the race itself. And then...it's off to the race.

I ended up running better than expected: 1:42:29. That's about 2:31 faster than what I should have been ready for. However, I ran within my means and felt great, even on the long hill at mile 11. The half is much different than a 5, or even 10 K. You have time to converse and take it all in. The Cannon Ball run was one of the most scenic--and hilly--courses I have ever attempted, but the training paid off.

We close with a couple of emails and the plans for the coming weeks, including another 5K towards the end of October--if I feel rested enough. Be sure and check out the pictures from the race at the slide show to the left. Thanks to my nephew Austin, and Cindy, my wife for taking most of them. Austin is quickly becoming my "racing groupie." Hope he doesn't mind that tag being attached to him.

The half has shown me that we can achieve what we put our minds to if we will take our time and use a disciplined strategy to do so. The same is true for you. What are your running goals? What goals are you wanting to accomplish in life? You can achieve them regardless of your age if you will set a plan and stick to it. I want to thank you for listening to the show. Please share the information with other runners; I appreciate it. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “The Race," by The Goldstars. Check it out at Music Alley.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.

The transitional piece(s) is entitled "Summer Revisited" and is by Chris English. Check it out at Music Alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger