Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Monday, October 5, 2009

T20MR Episode 22: Benefits of GPS devices, 17 miles, and running with scissors (I mean, glasses)

Welcome to Episode 22. I appreciate you tagging along with me. The ride has been a fun one and we look forward to many more. Without you, it simply would not work--thank you for going with me.

We begin the episode with an update on the last seven days. We ended up with the highest week yet when you factor in the run we cover in this episode: 37+ miles. I actually feel pretty good after a heavy week in preparation for the half, but my quads are a bit sore. But, it shall pass. I ran for the first time with glasses this week. A new strap makes the experience quite comfortable and I can see my watch! Running blind is not a favorite pastime for me; running with glasses is definitely doable. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Speaking of watches, I talk about the watch I use, pictured above. It is a GPS model and has lots of bells and whistles, none more important than the countdown timer. We talk about that feature and how useful it can be, especially during speed training. If your watch has a countdown timer, you really need to investigate using it. You'll be glad you did.

The NC Marathon is March 20th, six weeks earlier than the original May date. That means training needs to begin the first full week of December. I share my thoughts on what the training will include and welcome your insights to a first time marathoner: me. While I "want to finish," I also want to finish strong. But enough of that, we need to get through the Cannonball Half first. That comes up October 17th.

The episode wraps up with the conclusion of the run, my second longest ever and the longest in over 30 years. We covered just over 17 miles in this, the longest run I will do before the half. We will finish our preparations with some speedwork...and rest. While I hope to break 1:45 for the half, again, time will tell. My training, however, has gone well and I feel ready for a good effort.

Again, your interest in the show makes it worthwhile. Let me hear from you. Send me an email; include your most recent race report/photos/audio clip. We will share them on an upcoming episode. I trust that your training is going well. And, as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Big Cigar," by David Parker. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com

The theme from the original Star Trek series is used courtesy of audio micro.com.

For a great deal, check out the Timex Ironman 100 Lap Triathlon Speed/Distance - 5E701, like I use, at Runnersgear.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger