Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The 20MR Episode 49: The black, black dirt of home

If you are looking for a running podcast that happens to be about life and its various rewards and kookiness, you have come to the right place. Welcome to Episode 49 of the podcast. In this episode, we go back home to Duplin County to attend the funeral of my brother-in-law's father. James was a true outdoorsman; gardening was his passion. Say a prayer for Mike and Missy, his children, as they go through this very difficult time.

I had the fortune of walking the fields back home with my brother Sammy, and his daughter Vada (seen above with yours truly). We recorded a few minutes as we came across wild turkeys, turtles and evidence of other creatures in very large fields in the "pocosin" behind Sammy's house, defined by Dictionary.com as: "a swamp or marsh in an upland coastal region." (noun Southeastern U.S.). I still remember my grandmother talking about it. The canals were actually built with slave labor over 150 years ago.

On the front and back side of the segment, we ran 7.2 miles and talked about so many that are facing cancer, as Mike's father did. I also was able to help my stepfather get things straightened out as he canceled his satellite TV service. This is a podcast about running, true. But it is becoming just as much a diary of my life, including recording events that are important in my life and the lives of my family and events that are just plain fun to remember...like this episode.

I also remembered another thing I learned from the marathon training (listen to episode 48 for reference): core exercises are so critically important as we prepare for the marathon distance. I share what my core routine looks like. It includes the late George Sheehan's "magic six", which later became the "magic eight." These exercises are tried and true and should serve you well as you try to strengthen your core and work out the imbalances in leg strength.

We have a 10K and half-marathon in the plans for this summer and fall. I might throw in a 5K or two if possible as well.

Finally, WE ARE GETTING READY FOR EPISODE 50! SEND ME YOUR EMAILS AND FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE A ONE OR TWO MINUTE AUDIO CLIP. I want to reference them and share them in that episode. Send them to 20minuterunner@gmail.com. I appreciate it.

I am looking forward to episode 50 and want to include you in it. Thanks for listening. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 49 (click the player below)

_________________________

Links mentioned in this episode

My mp3va music site

Librivox free audio books

Williamsburg podcasts at History.org

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.

The transitional piece heard in the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled "Keepsake" by Ron Kemp. Check it out at Music Alley.

The background music near the end is entitled "Second Half" by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger