Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The 20MR Episode 44: Final thoughts before the marathon

Thanks for checking out Episode 44. I'm glad to have you along for this run as I share some final thoughts before the marathon--7 days away as of this program's recording. This show is about my excitement...and my reservations as we taper for the last week before the race. Although I know that I can finish the event, how I go about it is in question. The hip continues to bother me a bit, but I hope the light week coming up (five total miles) will serve to help it heal even more before race day.

Tigger joins me as I head out the door. As the neighborhood cat, she belongs to all of us. Abandoned by her owner after the move back to Germany, she has endeared herself to all of those in the neighborhood. I share a quick history on this wonderful friend.

Cindy and I were awakened by the booms of thunder the morning of this run. It had all subsided by the time we hit the road. But it did bring about an unexpected surprise: earthworms, everywhere. While storms are common in our area, this early in the season is a bit of a surprise. But on to the run...

I think my nervousness is disturbing my sleep. While I am sleeping, it seems that the jitters have gotten hold of me--just a bit. We talk about the importance of sleep. Thursday night this week is probably more important than Friday night. Maintaining the routine, going to bed at my usual time and avoiding caffeine may all help me as I try to continue to rest before the marathon.

Mental mind games have also crept in...should I have run further? Am I ready? Will the hip (or God forbid, the knees) hinder me on Saturday? I think these types of thoughts are par for the course. You have probably experienced them yourself before important races. I need a distraction...

I talk about the week's tapering and what I've done, plus my plans for the marathon yet again!
  1. Finish it.
  2. Finish it.
  3. Break 4:30
  4. Break 4:15
Anything else if just icing. Listen in as I discuss what my pacing plans are--or are not. It really depends on how I feel that day. Again, 1 and 2 are my main priority at this point. I do, however, feel confident that I will enter the race as rested as I possibly can. Again, hope the hip cooperates.

We close things out with a couple of email updates and my struggle with pushing myself in so many areas of life. I don't know why, but it's just my make-up. Can you identify with that? Why do I push myself in every new project I embark upon? I'm not sure, but the marathon is yet another indicator of that tendency.

So, this episode is about final thoughts--good and bad, mostly good, however. I have been so encouraged having you along for the training and look forward to sharing how things go in Episode 45. Stay tuned. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 44 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Pyraminx" by Roger Subirana from the album, "Point of No Return". Check it out at Jamendo.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.

The background music near the end of this episode is “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger