Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The 20MR Episode 43: 41.8 mile week, 'nuff said (pt. 2)

What a week. Welcome to Episode 43; thanks for coming along for this, the last double-digit long run before the marathon itself: 14.3 miles. The sun was bright and the weather absolutely perfect for running as we finish up 40+ miles for the week.

The knee straps continue to help. After resting 3 days following the 21-miler, the knees are in good shape and did not bother me this week, or on this run. The right groin continues to nag a bit, but nothing too terribly. I share the history of this old injury during the episode. It goes back to my high school days--a very long time ago.

We reflect on my track season (only one in high school), road racing exploits years ago and how my coach doubted I had run 18 miles before the day my groin was injured. I guess moving on to the marathon has me waxing reminiscent. While I do not want to go back to those times, thinking about them is motivating. It also encourages me to know that even at age 46, I can still run--albeit not as quickly. Oh well.

I also share the story about running with Benji Durden (Olympic marathoner, 1980) way back when. We ran on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Waynesville. More details in the show itself. Lee Fiddler was also a part of the experience.

And even though we are training for the marathon, life goes on. My mother-in-law has had some physical problems of late, but improving. Also, our church went to "Live it Out" earlier in the day of this run. Follow the link for information about what is happening in my professional life (and personal as well). I think it will encourage you.

We wind things up with some listener email. I just learned that a friend of mine is running the half at the NC Marathon. He will finish ahead of me, but I hope to be fairly close behind.

Also, I discuss potential plans for pacing and whether to use the GPS or not during the marathon. The problem in not using it may be a tendency to not run to my potential. Stay tuned as I figure out what to do. I do not want to go too slowly, but I do not want to go too quickly either.

So, this episode is about winding up the hard part of the training and beginning the taper. We sprinkle in some personal updates as well. I'm glad to have you along. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

Listen to Episode 43 (click the player below)







Powered by Podbean.com
_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Tribute to the Kings" by Fin de Cavale from their album, "Trafic de Blues". Check it out at Jamendo.

The opening and closing music heard in this podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com.

The background music near the end of this episode is “Long Ride Home," is by John Williams. Check it out at Magnatune Music.

The transitional piece heard in the podcast is entitled “The Long Goodbye," by Wendy Wall. Check it out at Music Alley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger