Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Monday, August 31, 2009

T20MR Episode 17-Would you like caffeine with that long run?








In Episode 17, you go with me on the weekly long run, in this case 13.16 miles. It is obvious that we can cover the 1/2 distance coming up in several weeks, but can I run the 1:45 we mention in this episode? After this hot effort, I'm not sure...but I think I can do it.

The two photos above of myself were taken at a day retreat the staff took this week. We went to Lake Norman, NC, where we swam, rode Seadoos and I had the priviledge of gaining the title "Tubing King!" After everyone else had had enough, I went for a couple of spins solo. And while I was eventually thrown off, I managed to ride some pretty high wakes from the boat. It was a blast and a much needed break. Everyone enjoyed the time away, even if it was just for the day.

A good portion of this episode is spent discussing caffeine: pros and cons. In moderation, it can actually boost athletic performance. Rather than list the information here, I'll let you hear the discussion during the run. I will say this, however: If you do not use caffeine during your races or long runs, you might want to consider it. You'll learn more in the podcast itself.

Finally, by the time you read this and listen to the episode, I will have turned 46. While it's hard to figure where the years went, I must admit I feel as good as ever, regardless of my age. I think we limit ourselves mentally more than physically. Our bodies will do much more than we think--if we can convince our head that this is possible. I want to encourage you to pursue your running dream--and other dreams for that matter--regardless of your age. Age is relative.

I have enjoyed this episode and trust you will find it motivating and encouraging as well. Thank you for being with me. Send me an email! And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Coffee," by Adam Balbo. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com

The article by Dr. Alex M. McDonald on the effects of caffeine can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger