Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Episode 14-Home again, Interview with my mom, Bar-B-Q 101




Episode 14 was recorded "down east" in North Carolina. On a trip home, we record while on the weekly long run.

While this episode is not as heavy as some recently, I know you will find it interesting. We begin by discussing the difference between Eastern style Bar-B-Q and Lexington style Bar-B-Q (yes, them's fightin' words!) While we explain the difference, I also made a couple of Bar-B-Q restaurant recommendations if you are in North Carolina and want to sample either--or both.

My mother and I also sit down under her carport and have a discussion about my early life and the impact running played as I adjusted to life living with her, my half-brother and my step-dad. My step-dad played a very important role in my life during my teen years.

We close things out by winding up the long run. It was a good one and I felt great. I hope your training is going well also. I appreciate you listening.

Send me an email with (or without) an audio file. Let me hear from you. Your participation is what makes this work and I enjoy hearing from you, the listener. Why not take a moment now and send me a question or comment, or information on your most recent race (including photos). I will post the photos and try to share your questions or comments on the show.

Hope your week is a good one. Be careful in the heat. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Get Back Home to You," by Ana Popovic. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com

The background music is entitled “Afternoon in the Sun.” It is by John Williams, from his album “Long Road Home.” Check it out at Magnatune.

The transitional guitar piece is from the song, "The Sky Below" by Shane Alexander. Check it out at Mevio Music.


***************************

Links mentioned in this episode

Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue by John Shelton Reed, Dale Volberg Reed, and William McKinney

Wilber's Bar-B-Q (Eastern style, Goldsboro, NC)

Lexington Bar-B-Q (Lexington style, Lexington, NC)

Honey Stinger gels homepage

**Picture credit: I took the photo above in the front yard of my mother's house in Wallace several years ago. It is one of my favorites of us together...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger