Listen to The 20 Minute Runner Podcast



Click the upper right corner of the player above for quick access to past shows!


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

T20MR Episode 20: Warren Rives 5K Race coverage, getting ready for the half




















It's hard to believe that we are up to Episode 20, but here we are. The ride has been fun and fulfilling, especially with you along. I have more ideas for upcoming episodes and welcome your feedback. Please email me at: 20minuterunner@gmail.com.

This episode finds the WRs 5K at the heart of it, surrounded by thoughts about the race both before and after the event is over. My wife has been in the hospital recently, but is improving. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers for her. Her condition could have been much more serious--but it was serious enough.

We begin by taking a walk with Odie and Tigger (the community cat). Odie has a way with animals and people alike. That's why we call him "The Cat Whisperer." I share a problem I'm having physically and ask for your advice. I give you one clue here: crickets. After you listen to the episode, please let me know if you have any ideas.

It was so good to have my nephew Austin with me at the race (Sammy's son, seen with yours truly above--listen to episode 9 to learn about my oldest brother). Though he got lost on the way, Austin made it right after we finished the race. Listen in as we chat about the race and how difficult it is to find your way around High Point. (I've added a few photos from the race to the 2009 Race Photos slideshow on your left that we took with Austin's camera as well.) There are also a couple of links below featuring NC New 14's coverage; they are a sponsor of the event.

I close by reflecting on the race and its implications. I ran 22:17 and placed 5th out of 19 in my age group, 42nd of 312 for the entire 5K. That's about 38 seconds faster than I have run in over 30 years. Needless to say, I am very pleased. I want to encourage you to reach your goals--whether in running...or life. All it takes is two things: time AND discipline. This episode ends with a pep-talk as it were: YOU CAN REACH YOUR RUNNING GOALS! I feel very blessed to be reaching mine and am beginning to realize that I can accomplish more than I may have originally thought. Time will tell.

This episode is mostly about the race and how anyone--including you--can achieve your own success based on what that means to you personally. I think you will be encouraged and entertained. I appreciate you listening. And as always,

Thanks for sharing some of the road with me,
The 20 Minute Runner

Download this episode (right click and save)

_________________________

The music heard in the body of the podcast is entitled “Nobody Here but Me in Blue," by Kelly's Lot. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The opening and closing music heard in each podcast is entitled “Point of No Return” by Roger Subirana and is the title cut of the album. Check it out at Jamendo.com

The transitional piece is from the song, "SunSpark" by Dan-O. Check it out at Mevio Music.

The background music is entitled “Afternoon in the Sun.” It is by John Williams, from his album “Long Road Home.” Check it out at Magnatune.

_____________________________
Other links related to this episode:

High Point Regional Medical Center

Carolina's Diner

Warren Rives 5K Race Results

NC News 14 nterview with High Point Bank spokesperson (The bank is a sponsor)

NC News 14 video coverage of the Warren Rives 5K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow 20minuterunner on Twitter

Labels


When sending email, please include your first name, city/state or country. Your email may be shared on a podcast. Also, feel free to send me a short mp3 or wav audio file. I might play it during a podcast. Your comments are always welcome.
Powered By Blogger